That's right, I am going to auction myself off for a night and it has nothing to do with book promotion. Though I will bring some signed books in an effort to send you home with a decent parting gift.
Nope, this is for a good cause. And I don’t mean in the “Save Ferris” sense. Sure, my Valentine’s Day needed a little injection from Cupid himself, but then I found out that the Drive Around the World Team is almost home. If you hadn’t heard, this amazing group high tailed it 41,000 miles through 31 countries raising money for Parkinson’s disease. Their journal page is full of adventures and great pictures of their last 16 months. At the end of this week they will begin their media days in Vancouver, Seattle, and Portland before continuing on to Los Angeles—and on February 28, they’ll return to Sunnyvale for a welcome home bash.
DOWNLOAD OUR TRAVEL GUIDES
So, here’s how to play.
- I’m going to start the bidding at $10, because this will ensure that you get entered for a chance to win a 2003 Land Rover Discovery Certified Pre-Owned vehicle outiftted with expedition gear.
- Bidders can use the comment box right here on this post to up their bids and new bids must meet the last one by at least $1.00.
- The highest bidder by noon on Friday February 18, 2005 will have the option to either take me out on a date, or attend the Drive Around the World homecoming party with me. Details t.b.a.
- The money from the winning bid will be donated to the Parkinson’s Institute.
- The date must take place in the Bay Area unless the winning bidder wants to additionally fly me in to his preferred location and pay for all expenses.
- You do not have to be a man to bid.
- Scintillating conversations may or may not include any advice about travel writing or book publishing.
- Conversation will definitely include my upcoming move to Las Vegas because I can’t shut up about it.
- Travelers preferred but not required.
- Winning bidders that result in an out of town date will definitely make my “Not So Weekly Stats.”
- The winning bid must make the date plans within the next 4-6 weeks.
Ok, we can keep gabbing about this in the comments. I’ve included a recent photo of me for those who’ve never met me in person.
Happy Valentine’s Day everybody!