If you’ve only recently discovered Bill Bryson, The Age just ran a nice overview.
Have beard, will travel By Jane Sullivan.
“The whole trick of travel writing, he says, is to persuade people who aren’t interested that what happened to you is interesting. Some people do it with brilliant writing or insights: he does it with humour. ‘I’m assuming a lot of people read my books because of the promise of a joke. I like to think that as they are reading, they begin to get interested in the subject.'”
DOWNLOAD OUR TRAVEL GUIDES
Ah, don’t we all love Bill. Here are some books to add to your collection.
- A Short History of Nearly Everything
- In a Sunburned Country
- I’m a Stranger Here Myself: Notes on Returning to America After 20 Years Away
- A Walk in the Woods : Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail
- Notes from a Small Island
- The Mother Tongue
- Neither Here nor There: Travels in Europe